What You Need:
- Paper plate
- Felts, crayons, or paint (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red)
What You Do:
- Divide the plate into six equal sections using the pencil and ruler.
- Colour each section of the plate a different colour of the rainbow. Make sure there is no white showing!
- Punch two small holes in the centre of the plate, about 1 cm apart. Thread the string through the holes.
- Hold one end of the string in each hand so that the colour disk is in the middle. Wind up your disk by turning while you hold the string. When the string is wound up tight pull both hands away from each other so that your coloured disk spins quickly.
- When observing the plate, the colour will begin to blur together and eventually appear to disappear or turn white!
- You can try this activity a second time, dividing the plate in half, and using only two primary colours on your disk. Will the colours disappear again? Find out!